Good real estate sales communication does not have to be as complicated as “Neuro-linguistic programming”, or NLP. Many of you who have heard of NLP might be fascinated with how it sounds and what it does, while also intimidated by learning this communications and sales technique. And while it is a big part of efficient communications in sales whether you practice it knowingly, or have perfected it “unknowingly”, it is heralded as the science behind closing deals.
NLP as the Great Real Estate Sales Communications Tool?
NLP is a concept borrowed from behavioral studies and it shows the ways in which verbal and nonverbal communication are interpreted in the brain. The key to closing more real estate deals is effective communication with the brain of the seller or buyer, and arguably NLP is a great method to use.
The conscious mind as well as the subconscious is influenced by everything that a person sees, smells, hears, touches and tastes. And while every persons mind works differently, NLP studies show that they all work with a preference toward three types of stimulation: visual, auditory or kinesthetic.
If during a real estate sales presentation, you learn:
* your client is more visual, than auditory or kinesthetic, your presentation should cater to that type of person with lots of pictures and graphs.
* If the client is more auditory, you should concentrate on thoughtful answers to his or her questions, as they crave conversation and solid verbal answers or cues.
* If the person is kinesthetic, then relating information to their personal feelings and sensations becomes key.
It is essential early in your presentation to find out which type of person you are dealing with in order to communicate effectively. Additionally, it is important to always have a presentation delivery that will cater to each of the three visual, auditory, and kinesthetic.
There is nothing wrong with applying all three during a presentation, and allowing the seller / buyers behavioral cues to guide you to which real estate sales communication takes the lead.
The Genius of it All is to Watch for Key Cues in a Person’s Behavior
Characteristics that are as simple as the speed of a person’s speech or the movement of a person’s eyes will reveal what kind of information they prefer. Don’t be put off by a person’s slower pattern of speaking, that’s a cue. Don’t use that as an opportunity to dominate the conversation and fill that silence with your voice. Understanding these cues, and how to communicate back is key.
With a little practice and training, it is easy to determine if a person is visual, auditory or kinesthetic.
Can you imagine having “THE EDGE” in a real estate negotiation before you’ve even spoken a single word?
That’s exactly what using the basic concepts behind NLP style communication will do for you. Even if NLP sounds like a spooky science, your best competition, dominating sales agents and investors in your market are likely using it to their advantage.
In your local market where real estate agents and investors are everywhere, and deal structure is the dominant learning guide, having a distinct set of communication training and skills will put you in front of the pack. The more you practice focused communications in your daily interactions, the more comfortable you will be with recognizing and adapting your communication style to behavior cues. Learning that fundamental NLP communication technique will skyrocket your real estate sales.
Communication is Everything in the Real Estate Business
- Effective communicators close more deals. That’s a fact, plain and simple.
- Avoid communication breakdowns. Don’t try to communicate with a prospect in a manner that is confusing, or over their head. No one likes a “fast-talking” salesman, no matter how desperate they may be.
- Save time and build confidence. Clients will learn to trust you more from the beginning of the sales process.
- Understand your clients more. Learning more about your prospects / clients needs will give you the advantage in future real estate sales communications.
- Speaking the language. Speak the language of your client, and reduce hit and miss sales presentations.
Imagine the benefits you’ll gain after you discover the best ways to explain facts and figures to different types of behavior cues.
Learn how to read people more effectively, deliver as promise, and quickly develop a reputation as the “go to” real estate investor in your community.